Steptoe & Johnson’s Hospitality and Resorts Team represents a broad range of clients in the hospitality and resorts industry, including locally owned hotels and ski resorts and large regional destination resorts. Our attorneys understand the importance of providing guests and customers with excellent customer service and experiences, and we strive to provide our clients with the same contentment.
Our hospitality and resort attorneys are fully versed in mergers, acquisitions, complex litigation and transactions, operating and lease agreements, and labor and employment matters that have an effect on the hospitality industry. We have assisted clients through formation, financing, construction, and development of large-scale projects. Our multifaceted team collaborates with other Steptoe & Johnson attorneys and is extensively prepared to assist you with any stage of your hospitality and resort endeavors.
What Sets Us Apart?
- More than 300 attorneys
- More than 40 areas of practices, allowing for cross-team collaboration
- Top listed firm in West Virginia in a combination of areas by The Best Lawyers in America®
- Real estate lawyers work closely with clients to tailor the scope of services to the requirements of a particular project. The group's objective is to provide first-class representation within a client's budget.
- 95 lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Business formation and organization
- Land acquisition, use and zoning
- Corporate financing
- Private placements
- Tax advice and tax incentive financing
- Purchase and sale of existing enterprises
- Licensing, regulatory, and compliance
- Construction and related contract review and assessment
- Negotiating and drafting management and other business contracts
- Labor relations, collective bargaining, and assisting management with union avoidance
- Employer counseling, ERISA, and workers' compensation training
- Represented companies in the hospitality, banking, and construction industries, in breach of contract and related claims
- Provided legislative assistance in drafting legislation favorable to the skiing and resort industry
- Represented hospitality and related clients in business startup, structuring, and financing efforts, including private placements
- Represented hospitality clients on land use, zoning, and water rights, and in disputes regarding restrictive covenants
- Experience in mergers and acquisitions, including stock purchase, asset purchase and merger structures
- Assisted clients in all phases of acquisition of existing destination resorts
- Represented clients in negotiation of franchise agreements
- Assisted in the development of tax strategies for hospitality and related clients
- Guided hotel and resort clients through union organizing efforts
- Assisted resorts, including casinos, in workers' compensation and related counseling and litigation