Steptoe & Johnson’s Mineral Title Litigation Team devotes its time and practice to protecting our clients’ assets. Our mineral title litigators understand that leases and the underlying reserves are some of our clients’ most valuable assets.
With more than 100 years of experience in the energy industry, our litigators are seasoned in complex and commercial litigation. We understand the legal terrain of all shale plays throughout the United States and have wide-ranging experience in assessing the potential for litigation of general and oil and gas title defects. Our mineral title litigators take a strategic, client-tailored approach to each case to arrive at the best results in the challenging and ever-changing oil and gas industry.
What sets us apart
- More than 300 attorneys
- More than 40 areas of practices, allowing for cross-team collaboration
- Top listed firm in West Virginia in a combination of areas by The Best Lawyers in America®
- Top listed in the U.S. in Energy Law by The Best Lawyers in America®
- 95 lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Defended energy company from hundreds of lessors trying to break oil and gas leases
- Defended acquiring company in litigation over the failure of seller to disclose all of its material lease operating expenses
- Filed missing heirs petitions to obtain leases for drilling rights
- Represented oil and gas lessees in Ohio foreclosure litigation involving lessors' residential and commercial mortgages and delinquent property taxes
- Represented producers with Marcellus and Utica shale wells in suits for excessive surface use, ownership, drilling rights, and pooling
- Prosecuted partition actions to acquire fractional, unleased mineral interests
- Litigated against claims by purchasers at delinquent tax sales
- Defended lessees against claims of lease forfeiture arising from nonproduction and/or abandonment