Steptoe & Johnson’s Taxation and Nonprofit Law Team includes attorney-CPAs and masters of law in taxation. Our attorneys represent individuals and businesses dealing with state and federal income taxes, fiduciary income taxes, withholding taxes, state and local business franchise taxes, excise and similar taxes, personal and real property tax assessments, and federal estate and gift taxes. We also counsel individuals with respect to both tax and non-tax aspects of personal estate planning.
Team attorneys routinely assist with business and commercial planning, nonprofit tax issues, and other areas of compliance related to the establishment and operation of nonprofit organizations.
- Blanchette Rockefeller Neurosciences Institute
- West Virginia University Board of Governors
- West Liberty University
- Marshall University Foundation
- Wheeling Jesuit University
- JPMorgan Chase
- Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston
- Arizona Department of Housing
- Represented a major tax-exempt client in a complex investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Assisted both nonprofit and for-profit clients with business planning, including complex structures such as mergers, joint ventures (including joint ventures between for-profit and nonprofit organizations) and establishment of for-profit “blocker” corporations
- Represented taxpayers including individuals and nonprofit organizations before the Internal Revenue Service and state taxing agencies
- Acted as tax counsel in many types of tax-exempt governmental bonds (university, city, and state), and tax-exempt private activity bonds (higher education, housing, solid waste, clean water, healthcare, and other 501(c)(3) bonds)
- Represented clients in various types of audits involving the IRS and state taxing agencies
- A member of the team is actively involved in the United States Chamber of Commerce Tax Committee